Synapse: A Club for equal participation and opportunities
Over the past ten years, the bio fraternity of Jaypee University of Information Technology come together in a melange of multi-dimensional activities, ranging from hard-core academics to co-curricular activities, cumulatively converging towards the common goal of attaining academic excellence coupled with developing a sound awareness regarding emerging and significantly relevant scientific issues. People from different backgrounds and different mindsets are coming together with just one thing in common: their pursuit of an education.
With an aim of nurturing skills of our young buddies, Dept. of Biotechnology and Bioinformatics has created a platform for students to develop and exhibit their various skills ranging from technical, outreach, arts and cultural activities, known as Synapse. The club was incepted in April 2004 and was formerly known as Bioinformatics Club. With inclusion of Biotechnology branch in the department it was later renamed as Synapse in 2008. The members of the club not only conduct and participate in various events but are also involved in social activities like organization of Blood donation camps.
The club has organized several technical competitions in the past and has been visited by several eminent personals from research institutions and industries like Dr. G.P.S Raghava, IMTECH Chandigarh; Prof. K. Kannan, VC Nagaland University; Dr. Vidya Kothekar, Dean DY Patil University Pune; Dr K.S. Saini, Former Director Biotechnology Ranbaxy; and many more.
- Outreach Program and Expert Lectures: Dr. Sudhir Kumar
- Industrial Visits, Arts and Cultural Events: Dr. Hemant Sood
- Career Events: Dr. Rahul Shrivastava
- News letter and Website: Dr. Tiratha Raj Singh
1. Outreach Program:- This program is to connect with school students to provide them mentorship for career awareness and skill developments. Synapse team visits schools to teach and demonstrate interesting laboratory experiments to science students. Through this activity, we would also like to promote economically and socially backward communities.
Team of Students: Tulika Sharma, Kinam Gupta, Rimjhim (2nd Year), Siddhant and Amit (1st year) and volunteers
2. Industrial Visits:- To impart industrial exposure to the students, visits are organized to industries. This helps the students to see the practical perspective of theoretical knowledge being imparted in various subjects. We consider it a way of teaching and to provide an interface between educational and industrial fronts.
Team of Students: Bishal, Gaurav, Brinda (2nd Year) and volunteers
3. Career Events:- Synapse help the students to know about the career events in the field of biotechnology and bioinformatics. Students get an update about the current positions in industry/academia, scholarships, and details about the competitive examinations. Synapse tries to strengthen its linkage with their alumni to create better opportunities.
Team of Students: Aditya Sahni, Vasu (3rd year) and volunteers
4. Expert Lectures: - Synapse invites the speakers from universities and industries of repute for expert lectures. This activity helps our students to update their knowledge in various fields of biotechnology and bioinformatics. This also strengthens our linkage with the various organizations.
Team of Students: Paramjeet and Apoorv (1st year)
5. News letter:- Synapse have its periodic newsletter to document their activities and may also have specialized issues on a subject matter.
Team of Students: Siddharth Tomar (3rd year), Pallavi Raj Sharma (2nd year)
6. Arts and Cultural Events:- Our cultural and arts team take care of the advertisement and communication of Synapse events.
Team of Students: Gorky, Chetansee Khanna, Mehul (2nd year), Icxa, Aditya (3rd year), Mansi and Shubhm (1st year)
7. Get- together:- Synapse team have an informal get-together at the end of each semester. Finance and Event management group takes care of this.
8. Web page design and Maintenance: Satyam Kapoor (3rd year) and his team.
Events organized in past:
BIO PROGRAMMING CONTEST
TECHNICAL POSTER COMPETITION
FINAL DESTINATION 1.0
THE CHASE CONTINUES
SNAKES AND LADDERS
BLOOD DONATION CAMP
MICRO MAFIA MAGAZINE (ISSUE 1 &2)
AND MANY MORE...
Events organized in last semester (Jan to May 2015)
- Industry visit to Mohan Meakin brewery Solan, by B.Tech Biotechnology and Bioinformatics 2nd year and 3rd year students. Process of beer making, techniques of production, quality control and packaging were demonstrated to the students.
- Outreach activity was conducted at a Govt. Senior Secondary school at Dumehar Bani village, Solan. Outreach team helped the students from 6th to 11th class in strengthening their concepts in Maths, Science and English. They were also motivated to go for higher studies.
- Synapse celebrated National Science Day (28th February). On this occasion our chief guest was Sh. Vipul Goyal. He is a differently able person (suffering from Muscular dystrophy) and Secretary at IAMD (Indian Association of Muscular Dystrophy), Solan. IAMD is a volunteer based support group, working to give relief and rehabilitation to people with Muscular Dystrophy in India since 1992. He created awareness about this progressive neuro-muscular disorder.
Events for current semester (July to Dec 2015)
To be updated....
Members:To be updated....
Contact UsPostal Address
Department of Biotechnology & Bioinformatics
Jaypee University of Information Technology
P.O. Waknaghat, Teh Kandaghat, Distt. Solan, H.P., India
Ph: +91-1792-239351, +91-1792-239313
Email us at: