Curriculum designed with a broad knowledge base
The Department imparts education to equip students with modern skills compatible to the needs of industry, academia, government and non-government organizations. Keeping in view the inter- and trans-disciplinary nature of Biotechnology and Bioinformatics, the curricula have been designed with broad knowledge base, encompassing courses from fundamental sciences (Biology, Mathematics, Physics), Computer Science & Engineering, Electronics and Communication Engineering, Humanities and Social Sciences, in addition to core courses in Biotechnology and Bioinformatics. Project-based learning is an integral part of all curricular programmes.
The Department is actively involved in research by having the distinction of running externally funded R & D projects worth Rs. 25 crores from various Govt. of India agencies such as the Department of Biotechnology, Department of Science & Technology, DRDO, Ministry of Environment and Forest, ICMR, and industries. The Department has been recognized as a Center of Excellence for research in biosynthetic pathway discovery and genetic improvement of indigenous medicinal herbs by the DBT, Govt. of India.The Department is recognized as technical agency to implement GOBARDHAN project by Govt. of Himanchal Pradesh and Jharkhand (2018). Following are our major research thrusts:
- Infectious diseases- diagnostics and anti-microbial resistance;
- Human genomics, genetic predisposition, stem cells, diabetic-induced neuropathy, peptidomimetics and phytopharmaceuticals as drugs
- Selection and formulation of probiotics;
- Nutraceuticals and functional foods in nutrition and health;
- Food processing and analytical technologies
- Biofuels (algal & cellulosic feedstocks);
- Bioremediation of e-waste, solid municipal waste, etc.;
- Industrial enzymes: bioprospecting, genome mining and protein engineering;
- Optimization, up-scaling and life-cycle analysis of bioprocesses
- High value phytochemicals- pathway discovery and metabolic engineering;
- Genetic improvement of indigenous medicinal herbs
- Plant cell cultures for rapid multiplication and production of phytochemicals
- Computational genomics, big biological data mining and clinical informatics;
- Designing and implementation of prediction algorithms, BI pipelines, tools, and databases, etc.
More than 95% Placement
The placement of graduates has been more than 95% during the last years with most of the students offered jobs in more than one industry. The benchmarks of our high quality education are reflected through placement of our graduates in industries of repute such as Celera Genomics, USA, HCL Life Sciences, Wipro, Infosys, TCS, Panacea Biotech, Ranbaxy, Novozymes, Evolva Biotech, Ltd., etc. and in top ranking institutions such as Carnegie Mellon University, USA, John Hopkins University, USA, University of Bonn, Germany, Georgia Institute of Technology, USA, University of Hong Kong, Max Planck Research School, Germany . Our B.Tech. graduates are pursuing MS/Ph.D degrees in top class Universities across USA and Europe with scholarships.